Do drivers have recourse after a hit and run accident?

On Behalf of | Apr 22, 2020 | Motor vehicle accidents |

Hit and run accidents are often more complicated to deal with than other car crashes. You may worry that you have limited options for recourse because the other motorist fled. But understanding the benefits you can receive through your own insurance policy will help you navigate the road ahead.

When the police can’t find the motorist

In many hit and run accidents, law enforcement officials have little luck tracking down the offending driver. They may have fled before you could record their license plate or the make and model of their car. In this – and any – case, make sure to document the damage their vehicle caused yours. If you’re injured, make sure you see a doctor right away, since they can provide a record of the treatment you will need after the accident. You will then submit these details to your insurance company. By Connecticut law, all drivers must carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. This coverage allows you to receive a settlement when the other motorist is uninsured or flees the scene of the accident.

When the police find the motorist

You may have captured key details about the other driver’s vehicle or profile, and officers were able to track them down. In some cases, motorists flee if they lack car insurance. In this case, you will rely on your UM coverage to make a claim. You also have an option of filing a civil suit against the perpetrator if the claim doesn’t cover your expenses. If the fleeing driver has auto insurance, you will go through their policy to pursue a settlement for your damages.

Fleeing motorists make car accidents more of a pain than they already are. But if you’re a victim of one, you have ways to achieve proper coverage. Consulting with an attorney can help you receive the recourse you deserve.